Thursday, February 16, 2012

22 More Days Until We Leave~ Excited, Nervous, Moved

Hey All-

   First Time Blogger-Long Time Reader here :) I don't exactly know where to begin, or what to write for that matter-but what I do know is that I am honored to be part of this years Alternative Spring Break. I can't believe I am able to actually be a part of somthing like this. I mean, the thought of doing somthing this big-and helping people that may or may not be able to help themselves after such devastation-is monumental.I feel excited and nervous all at the same time! I have always heard of trips like this before, but to be leaving for one in 22 days-half way across the counrty no less- is rather amazing! :)

  So, I was looking through the Joplin Globe today, and I came across the cover story,which was about volunteers working to help bring Joplin back to life, and I was rather moved by it. It was about a "volunteer house" that was built to house volunteers while they worked -and it was being moved to become part of a future collection in the city museum. Apparently those who have come and volunteered so far, have left thousands of messages scribbled on the walls, windows, floors and doors of the house. :) Wow-goes to show how appreciative Joplin's people are--keeping pieces of history to never forget May 22nd, 2011. ---I am so excited to start this life changing adventure!
Peace & Love,
Mary D.

PS: Here is the link in case you wanted to check out the article:
http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/x638262427/Volunteer-House-moved-to-new-home

No comments:

Post a Comment