Tuesday, February 19, 2013

24 Days, 8 Hours, 30 Minutes ...But Who's Counting?

Now that we have less than a month left until we leave for Biloxi, MS, I still don’t think it has quite set in that in a matter of weeks, we are off to do something amazing. I have never had the opportunity to participate in such a significant service project, and for that I am truly grateful. The Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill is considered to be the largest accidental marine oil spill in the history of the petroleum industry and it’s hard to believe that it has been almost three years since oil began gushing into the Gulf of Mexico, causing one of the worst ecological disasters of our time. I have no doubt that the effects of this oil spill will be felt nationwide for many years to come. Today, I see the BP commercials on TV encouraging people to come to the Gulf Coast, as business owners in that area are trying to restore a sense of normality that hasn’t been felt since before the oil spill. Although there is not much media coverage on the long-term effects of the oil spill, people in the Gulf region are suffering, and I take comfort in the fact that we will be able to play a role, however small it may be, in helping a region that has been battered by numerous natural disasters get back on its feet.  

Aside from the more serious aspect of our trip, I would also like to express how grateful I am to have met such an amazing group of people here at FSU. This year’s ASB trip members are some of the friendliest and most compassionate people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and although I haven’t had the opportunity to get to know everyone, I do look forward to becoming closer with every member of our group before, during, and after the trip. Like most of us, I can’t wait to leave for Biloxi and I couldn’t ask for a better group of people to be embarking on this journey with.

Nevin Lorden
Class of 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment