Wednesday, November 27, 2013

This Morning

I woke up at 3 a.m. this morning to the worst rain & wind storm I have heard in a long time. At first, I was angry to have been woken up so early on my first night home for the Thanksgiving holiday, but soon after, that feeling vanished. 

I soon thought of the people of Oklahoma, Illinois, and all affected by the recent tornadoes. I thought of how terrified and heartbroken they must have felt when the tornado was destroying their homes, impacting their lives, and putting their loved ones at risk. I thought of how they must have felt during the times of uncontrollable wind and damage, and I suddenly felt incredibly grateful.

Although I was awake early, I knew my house would be there in the morning. I knew my brothers would still be asleep (probably until 3 p.m.). I knew that my friends and family in the area are all safe. I knew that my (lazy) cat would still be sleeping on the couch. These are all things that these people did not have the privilege of feeling. 

To me, this experience exhibits how much I have personally developed through my ASB experience so far. These people are already giving me so much in life, including the ability to think outside of myself. This Thanksgiving, I am grateful for all of these people for that they have given me a fresh outlook on life. 

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate! 

-Casey Tidwell 
Class of 2014 

No comments:

Post a Comment