Sunday, March 9, 2014

Love the Shit, Too

The week before ASB is always so exciting. There's so much anticipation, so much excitement, and so much to do! I think sometimes as a trip leader, and as a participant, it's so easy to get caught up in the details- what to do, what to bring, who to call, etc. But when I slow down for a minute, the gravity of what ASB is all about starts to sink in.

My mantra over the past few weeks has been "love the shit, too." All of the stress of coordinating this trip can be tough, but it's important to love the hard parts, too. The hard parts mold us; they make us stronger. The hard parts make us ask, "Is this even worth it?" and when the answer is "yes," (which, for me, it always is when it comes to ASB) it shows us who we are, what's important to us, and what we believe in. Seeing 24 students leave their comfort zone, forget their own needs, and be so motivated by gratitude for their own lives that they dedicate a week to bettering the lives of strangers- that is what's important to me. And when I see that the service doesn't stop at a week, that our participants continue to give for the rest of their lives- that is what I believe in.

ASB is an example of humanity at it's finest. It makes me happy to be alive, and it makes me proud to be human. So, if that means that I lose a few nights of sleep to help make it happen, it's a price I am so, so willing to pay <3

2 comments: