Thursday, March 17, 2011

Eye-Opening Experience

Hi everyone!
Where did the week go? Tomorrow is our last day of building and all I want is more time to finish the job we have started here in Louisiana! I wish we would be able to see the finished product of our hard work, but being able to lay the foundations and work on the beginning of a family's home has been a completely humbling and inspiring project. It is hard to imagine myself sitting in a classroom in a few days when I know there is still so much work to be done. I don't want to leave!
Since I've been here I feel like Hurricane Katrina is constantly on my mind. I remember getting ready for my first day of school while I watched on the news as the weather man reported that Hurricane Katrina was approaching category 5 status and not being able to wrap my head around what that must feel like. I will never know how people felt but being in this area and seeing some of the aftermath helps put it into perspective. The devastation that this state (and others) have felt because of this hurricane is horrifying. Five years later and the effects of this hurricane are still being felt and until I came here I never truly realized it.
There is so much more to write about but for now let me just say that this trip has been one of my all time favorite experiences. I have never laughed so hard and worked so hard in one week! The people are amazing, the southern hospitality has been phenomenal, and the experience has been once in a lifetime!
PS: I still have a few more days to see an alligator! I hope we find one!
-Molly Goguen (Class of 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment