Sunday, February 22, 2015

Hey there, ASB 2015!

New year, new ASB! It has been quite a whirlwind becoming part of ASB 2015, and I feel like I have learned a lot, but I know I still have a long way to go. I really enjoyed George's presentation today at the meeting, and I think the numbers were that most surprising part for me. I really can't even picture a city that has only two thirds of the buildings occupied. It's also hard to picture a city that is three times the size of Boston and 5 times the size of Framingham, but had less than half the number of people than there used to be. When I think of Detroit, I feel like I picture what the media portrays and I think it will be really shocking to see for myself how it actually looks now. I know that this is a situation that pictures just cannot do justice, but I also realize that the media's depiction is not necessarily accurate. However, while I know Detroit has had more than its fair share of challenges over that last few decades, I was really inspired by the video that George showed us. It showed people who live in Detroit and see it as a place that has seen struggle, but is still a great place to live and work. I am excited to be there and get to meet people who believe in Detroit and see it as a place that can come back from all of these challenges. Meeting people that have positive attitudes despite adversity has always been one of my favorite parts of ASB, and I really hope that is something we will find in Michigan!

Molly Buckley
Class of 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment