Sunday, February 22, 2015

Pre-ASB Reflection

I think that the most surprising thing that I have learned about Detroit is the number of people that have left the city. I knew that there was a decline in the population but I never realized how many people actually left and trying to imagine such a decline in population is hard for me to wrap my head around. Since I have been to Detroit a few years ago I know what to expect going into the city. I know that we will come across multiple abandoned buildings and see the poverty that has taken hold of the city and that is something that I believe I am mentally and physically prepared for. That being said I am excited to see if there have been changes to the city. It has been about 5 years since I have been and I am looking forward to seeing the progress and changes that the city has undergone. Coming from a city that struggles with homelessness and violence I think Detroit and my hometown of Lynn will be similar however not on the same scale. Detroit is much larger than Lynn and its problems are far worse however Detroit and Lynn both deal with similar issues. In my opinion, Lynn is able to deal with the issues of homelessness and violence in ways that are more effective than how Detroit deals with its issues of homelessness and violence. While both cities address the issues of homelessness and poverty in different ways these are two characteristics that both Lynn and Detroit share.

Lauren Donnelly
Sophomore
Class of 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment