Monday, February 23, 2015

Pre- ASB Reflection

1) What was the most surprising thing you've learned about Detroit?
       Perhaps not the most shocking of things, but throughout the experience so far I've become more aware of the good qualities of Detroit. I've been conditioned to believe that Detroit is a ghost town, a conglomeration of abandoned buildings, murders, and corruption. I suppose the most surprising thing is the amount of conditioning people outside of Detroit have.
        It struck me when I watched the video and saw the differences between the two high schools. The abandoned high school was always the one to be highlighted in media, while they disregarded the brand new, beautiful building.
       There are some incredible things to be seen in Detroit and it's still unknown to me all of the beauty that I'm sure I'll be seeing in a few weeks.

2) What do you expect to see in Detroit?
      The truth is I'm not all that sure what I'll be seeing in Detroit. I'm sure I'll be seeing what the media portrays (i.e. the abandoned buildings and run down nature of the city). The homeless population may come as a bit of a culture shock.
     But, like I said in the previous question, there are parts to this trip that I can't even imagine quite yet. The stories, the experiences... these are the things that I believe will make the greatest impact.
   I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm expecting to put a face to the blank page that is Detroit to me right now. However, I'm just not sure what that face will be quite yet.

3) What are some of the similarities that your hometown and Detroit will have?
    Growing up in a suburban Massachusetts town, I can't think of many surface similarities between my hometown and Detroit. However, I have a feeling that once I spend a week in Detroit, I'll find a lot more similarities between the two than I ever would have expected.
  
Devon Garufi

Class of 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment