Friday, March 16, 2012

inSPiRING BREAK!

This week was truly amazing.  I never could have imagined how much I would take away from it.  I had some hesitations at the beginning of the week since I hadn't made too many meetings and I didn't know if I would be able to contribute because of my shoulder pain, but the minute I stepped into the airport and met up with everyone I knew this week would be a blast.  Being a transfer to FSU I hadn't known more than 5 people on campus prior to this trip.  Now that the week is over, I can stay that I have 25 more friends on campus and I love every single one of them like family.
This trip really opened up my eyes to what other people around the world deal with.  We don't experience tornadoes in Massachusetts so to see how much devastation one tornado could have on a town made me incredibly thankful for living in a part of the country that doesn't worry about them.  It also made me realize how much materials don't really matter.  After seeing what these people have lost and how they've continued to live past, it reenforces that though a disaster like this would be devastating, all that matters to me is that my family and friends make it out alive.
The people in this town are more amazing than anyone I have every met.  They are so thankful for us being here, but really we are the ones who should be thankful for their hospitality and welcoming.  The people of Joplin are strong and they will continue to come back from this unfortunate disaster.  As for us, we will forever be changed by this experience and we will never forget our inSPiRING BREAK in Joplin, MO.

-Lynnea

No comments:

Post a Comment