Monday, March 26, 2012

"We can burn brighter than the sun"

I can't believe it's been a full week since we came back from Joplin. It feels like it was yesterday. Alternative Spring Break was one of the best experiences of my life, and I'll take the many lessons I learned during our week in Joplin, Missouri with me wherever I go. And not just metaphorically! I got my tatto, a spiral sun, in Joplin so that each time I look at it, for the rest of my life, I will remember the beauty and kindness of the people in Joplin. Although it was premeditated, my tattoo, in part, is for the people of Joplin who, although victims themselves, were the first to show kindness to us, a group of students from halfway across the country. It's for the man at Pizza Hut who put $100 towards our meal, even though he didn't look like he had an extra $100 dollars to give. It's for the manager of Pizza Hut, who ran into the parking lot after us to thank us, even though he didn't need to go out of his way. It's for Rhonda, who could still smile throughout it all. And, finally, it's for the amazing people from Framingham State who I met on this trip, and whose big hearts and desire to help their fellow man have, in turn, helped me to realize that life is short, but meaningful and beautiful nonetheless. Thank you, fellow ASBers. Wherever life takes you, I hope you'll let your inner sunlight shine through. :)
I can't wait to do it again! And for my mom's sake, I hope I won't feel the need to get a tattoo on each trip! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment