Friday, March 15, 2013

ASB 2013! I AM READY.

Alternative Spring Break.  Where do I even begin?  The feelings that I get when I think about this trip are indescribable-- but they are definitely good feelings, to say the least.

This has been an incredible experience thus far, and our group hasn't even arrived in Biloxi, MS yet!  I am so blessed to have been chosen for this year's ASB.  I have grown so much from just being around such a dedicated, caring, and selfless group of individuals-- each of whom bring something so unique to the table.  My involvement with this group alone has been life-changing.


I cannot believe that we will all be in Logan Airport together in less than 7 hours.  The week leading up to this trip has been so stressful with midterms, papers, and last minute assignments-- but I cannot wait to reorient myself, reunite with the ASB group, and dive head first into everything that ASB is going to offer us.


One thing that Molly Goguen mentioned this year during one of our meetings that really stuck with me was: that just because the oil spill is out of most national news and media reports-- that doesn't mean that those who were affected by it don't need help anymore.  I don't know why, but when she said this particularly, it really sunk in.  To think that so many people are still trying to reconstruct their lives years after this oil spill is absolutely devastating.  Though the nation as a whole has turned away from this tragedy that still affects probably hundreds of thousands of people, I am confident that our ASB group will be able to help this city that is still in need of help.


I cannot wait to see the positive impact that this group is going to have in Biloxi.  I hope Biloxi is ready for Angel, Loretta, Emily, Molly G, Tori, Carolyn, Stephen, Carly, Kevin, Hannah, Jenna, Molly B, Jenel, Shannon, Melissa K, Michaela, Nevin, Kelly, Kristen, Lizzie, Melissa S, Colleen, Amy, Nick, Katie, Lauren (aka...BOVA!), Avarie, Brandon, Ali, and myself to get to work...because I know that we are all ready to get to work in Biloxi :)

To all of the people I just listed-- you are all incredible people, you have touched my heart and life in ways you cannot even imagine, and I am beyond excited to embark on this journey with each of you.  


Nothing but love,

Scott Shea, Class of 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment