Sunday, March 24, 2013

Jenel Liston


This trip has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I have never been happier with a decision I have made then deciding to apply for ASB. I have learned so much about myself and about other people. The people who I have met down here have such great spirits even after facing such horrible disaster. I think the story Steve told us about the live Oak trees was something that really hit home for me. In the storms many of the oak trees were going to die due to a lack of soil and too much salt residue. He said that for miles down the coast people were able to come together and give life to these trees that had no hope and because of that there are still hundreds of trees that survived. The ones that didn’t survive were carved and made into art that people from all over the world come too see. I think it is amazing that they were able to take something that seemed hopeless and bring it to life and make it beautiful.
            One task we did this week that really impacted me was bagging oysters. We were able to take the shells and tie them into chicken wire bags and resend them into the ocean to create walls that help restore the marine habitat. We were faced against a mountain of shells that seemed impossible to take on but when we all started working as a group slowly the impossible started to seem possible.
            We were so lucky to have a group of incredible participants this year and each one of them has impacted my life in a different way. I loved hearing everybody’s stories and I know the memories and friendships I have created here are going to last me a lifetime. Thank you so much to everyone who has made this trip one of the best weeks of my life. You are all beautiful people inside and out.
- Jenel Liston, Class of 2013 

1 comment:

  1. Jenel, we all could not be happier you decided to apply for ASB. Thank you for for posting this!

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete