Sunday, March 10, 2013

Biloxi, Mississippi in T-6 days!

Sooo we will be in Biloxi, Mississippi in LESS THAN A WEEK! I literally cannot wait! This anticipation is killing me, and it seems like it's killing everyone else too! I have been so excited to go ever since I first visited Framingham State!

I remember my first visit here, I heard about Alternative Spring Break and I immediately wanted to find out more and find out how I could be a part of it. Luckily, Molly Goguen was there to answer all my questions, making me want to be a part of this group even more!

On a more serious note, I never realized how much of an impact this oil spill had on the Southern shore. It's deeply saddening to hear about all the devastation this disaster had on Biloxi, and all the surrounding areas. If I, as an ASBer had no idea how bad this was, I can only imagine how few people know what they are still going through, even though it has been just about three years since the initial disaster. They need all the help they can get and I couldn't be more enthusiastic to be doing just that!

I couldn't have been happier to be a part of such an amazing group of people. Even though it has been such a short amount of time getting to know you all, I feel we are all already really close! I mean, look at how close we are, and we haven't even left yet! :) I can only imagine how close we will all be after the trip.


Despite my love for helping others, I was so nervous to be a part of this group at first because I am not the best at meeting new people, so I felt I might not belong. However, you guys have shown me otherwise that I have had nothing to fear this entire! You are all so friendly, loving, and crazy (in a good way) and I cannot thank you enough for being so welcoming to me. Even though we all have a common interest about helping others, we have become a loving group besides that initial interest. I can't wait to go make a change, even if it's a small one, and help the lives of others with everyone!! Biloxi, here we come! <3

-Kelly Barker
Class of 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment