Sunday, March 1, 2015

2 weeks to go!

ASB is so soon!! I am so excited, but I feel like I still have a lot of catching up to do as far as the education. Brandon sent me some of the presentations that the group has seen prior to my joining ASB and I have been reviewing those this week. One of my goals is to dedicate a larger amount of time to learning about Detroit, Detroit Rescue Missions Ministries, and what we may be working with on ASB. I feel that any service experience is much more full by educating yourself prior to the work, and I am just a little behind as of right now. I am hoping to be completely up to speed with the rest of the group by the next meeting so I can head to Detroit feeling confident and ready to serve!

A goal I have for myself during the actual trip is to have a go-with-the-flow attitude. I am naturally a very scheduled-oriented person, but I feel that during this trip it is about more than getting the work done quickly. Because this trip is more focused on people, taking the time to converse with those people living in Detroit is just as important as getting whatever task I have been assigned done quickly. I feel like most of my life at FSU is rushed, and I love being so busy, but during ASB I want to take the time to talk to people, look around at where we are, and really invest time in getting to know Detroit and its people beyond just the physical work.

Another goal I have for myself is to make it a top priority to get to know the members of ASB that I don't know well already. This goal is one I have for the next two weeks and also during the trip. I know that every person in this group was chosen for a reason, and I want to spend time growing closer to those people who I have not had the opportunity to spend time with. It is much easier to gravitate toward those people that I have known for the past 2, 3, or 4 years, but I know that I would not be where I am in my knowledge of service had it not been for the returners who took an interest in me during my first years. I want to make sure everyone feels accepted on this trip and know that they can be great leaders and servers before, during, and after ASB!

Molly Buckley
Class of 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment