Tuesday, March 17, 2015

ASB Changed My Life, I Hope It Can Change Yours

Wow! This trip to Detroit has already changed my life for the better. Everyday I learn something new that I never thought I would have learned before going on this trip. I have learned to not take my life for granted because my life could be a lot worse (not saying that my life is bad, it's great!) The first thing people need to realize when working with the homeless population is that they not choose to be homeless, it just happens. It can happen to anyone because life can take you on unexpected journeys that you may or not be ready for. Alternative Spring Break is more than just a week of service for me, it is about learning about myself and learning how I can best serve those less fortunate than I am. Personal stories are what makes this trip to Detroit special to me. In 10 years, I am not going to remember the time when I organized a closet, but I will remember the special bonds and personal narratives I shared/learned with the people I have met from Detroit. Nobody will understand how powerful and special this trip is until somebody experiences it for themselves. From 9th grade until a few days ago, I really thought that I would graduate college with an undergraduate degree in business; however, I have really been taking a different approach to what I want to spend the rest of my life doing. I have decided that I am going to be applying for an internship at a homeless organization held a few towns over from my hometown. This is only the 4th day in Detroit, and I have already experienced more emotions and realizations than I thought I would have in my entire life! I encourage everyone who has even a slight interest in applying to ASB to do so.

Freshman Class of 2018
Nolan Bridgewater

No comments:

Post a Comment