Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Finding the beauty within the devastation.

Where do I even begin about this amazing journey? It is so hard to believe that there is a place like this that actually exists. It is by far the most devastating, but beautiful thing I have ever been lucky enough to be a part of. Today especially has been the one day where I have been able to see so much beauty come from people who have experienced so much destruction. In my lifetime I will most likely never be able to fully understand what they have or are still going through, but I can understand how blessed I am to have the opportunities and resources that I have. I plan to spend the rest of my life giving to others what I can. While I was painting a wall today, Abdulla, a man living and volunteering was painting along side me. I struck up a conversation with him, and asked him if he lived there. He explained that he did, but did not want to transition into permanent housing. I asked him why, and his response was that he did not want to. I did not push the topic, and reminded him that he was going to figure everything out, and that he would succeed. What I did not realize was how much this conversation was going to change my whole view of this city. He looked me in the eyes and told me he would succeed because he was a solider. I was so taken back that I didn't know how to respond. He ended up walking away and I still stood there motionless thinking. I came to the realization that he was not a solider for the United States of America, he was a solider for the city of Detroit fighting his own personal war, as well as the war of all individuals in this city suffering from the effects of inequality. This man will never know it, but he changed my life. He taught me that within our society, each individual is fighting a battle that we will never understand. In order to help win this war going on in Detroit, we all must stick together and support each other in any way possible. I am so grateful to have had this opportunity.

"A meaningful life is not being rich, being popular, being highly educated or being perfect... It is about being real, being humble, being able to share ourselves and touch the lives of others. It is only then that we could have a full, happy and contented life." - Anonymous

Best Wishes,
Chelsey Hynes
Class of 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment